Javert's Suicide


翻译:starpieces



Valjean:
It's you, Javert!
是你,沙威!
I knew you wouldn't wait too long
我就知道你迫不及待
The faithful servant at his post once more!
政府的忠狗又在尽责
This man's done no wrong,
这个人是无辜的
And he needs a doctor's care.
他急需送医救治

Javert:
I warned you I would not give in
警告你我不会放弃
I won't be swayed
我的决心不可动摇

Valjean:
Another hour yet
一小时后
And then I'm yours
我就归你
And all our debts are paid.
我们也该了账了

Javert:
The man of mercy comes again
好个伪君子
And talks of justice
满嘴假仁义

Valjean:
Come, time is running short
时间不等人
Look down, Javert
看啊,沙威
He's standing in his grave
他快断气了

Javert: (overlapping)
Take him, Valjean,
带他走吧,冉阿让
Before I change my mind
趁我还没改主意
I will be waiting
我等着你
24601.

[Valjean carries Marius off.]

[Javert walks the deserted streets until he comes to a bridge over the river Seine.]

Javert:
Who is this man?
他到底是谁
What sort of devil is he
是怎样可怕的人啊
To have me caught in a trap
设计逮住我
And choose to let me go free?
又任由我自行离开
It was his hour at last
明明握有
To put a seal on my fate
我的生杀大权
Wipe out the past
了结过去
And wash me clean off the slate!
只需将我灭口
All it would take
而这一切
Was a flick of his knife.
不过用刀一抹
Vengeance was his
他大仇得报
And he gave me back my life!
却又放我一条活路

Damned if I'll live in the debt of a thief!
可恶,我竟被一个贼饶了性命
Damned if I'll yield at the end of the chase.
该死,我竟屈服在这最后关头
I am the Law and the Law is not mocked
我代表法律,不可被愚弄
I'll spit his pity right back in his face
他的施舍,我啐之如土
There is nothing on earth that we share
我们之间,水火不容
It is either Valjean or Javert!
有冉阿让,就没沙威!

How can I now allow this man
而我竟让此人
To hold dominion over me?
主宰了我的命运?
This desperate man whom I have hunted
我所追捕的,铤而走险之人
He gave me my life. He gave me freedom.
他饶我性命,他放我离开
I should have perished by his hand
我原是要死于其手
It was his right.
他本该杀了我
It was my right to die as well
我也合该死去
Instead I live...but live in hell.
而我却活着...但生不如死

And my thoughts fly apart
现在我脑海中一片混乱
Can this man be believed?
我能够相信那个人吗?
Shall his sins be forgiven?
他的过错真应被宽恕?
Shall his crimes be reprieved?
他的罪状确该被缓释?

And must I now begin to doubt,
疑虑的种子在心里埋下
Who never doubted all these years?
我过去的人生意义何在
My heart is stone and still it trembles
铁石般的心啊,它在颤抖
The world I have known is lost in shadow.
我的世界正被黑暗吞噬
Is he from heaven or from hell?
他到底是天使,还是魔鬼?
And does he know
他是否明白
That granting me my life today
今天放生我的举动
This man has killed me even so?
亦是终结我的人生?

I am reaching, but I fall
我高举双手,却颓然跌落
And the stars are black and cold
星空黯然失色,冰冷无情
As I stare into the void
当我凝视这穹苍
Of a world that cannot hold
穹苍之下已无我立足之地
I'll escape now from the world
我要逃离这世道
From the world of Jean Valjean.
这个属于冉阿让的世道
There is nowhere I can turn
我已后退无门
There is no way to go on....
我也前行无路

[He throws himself into the swollen river.]